CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 13, 2011

Relay for Life Pin

Tomorrow I am participating in the Relay for Life fundraiser benefitting the American Cancer Society.  This year our school has done so much to raise money for the cause after learning one of our 5th grade students was fighting leukemia.  I'm so excited to participate with our staff, and am thrilled that there are themes throughout the walk.  The event begins tomorrow afternoon and goes through the night and into the next morning because the event's theme is "Cancer never sleeps."  I will be walking from 12-1a.m. during the "Jammie Jog" themed hour.  I picked out my jammie pants today that match my shirt for the event.


I also wanted to honor my three grandparents that I lost to lung cancer.  I know that staff members came to school today with their shirts painted and ironed on with tributes to their loved ones that are fighting or have lost their battles with cancer.  This morning I had the idea that I could wear a set of angel wings for each of my grandparents lost.


I spent the better part of an hour walking around Michael's looking for angel wing stickers...no luck.  Then I searched for white feathers...no luck.  Then just as I was ready to leave, I found this glittery foam with adhesive backing...PERFECT...I'll just make my own.




Although cute, I thought it needed to look more heavenly, so I used this small sized feather boa and stuck them to the adhesive part of the wings.



I added a purple ribbon (the color for Relay for Life) and a pearl button in the center (the pearl ribbon is designated for lung cancer.  It makes the wings look like a person is in between them.






Then to the back, I hot glued a pin so that I can attach them to my shirt.  That way I will have them with me the whole time I'm walking.



2 comments:

  1. What a great way to honor your grandparents. Your pins are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So creative! They turned out great, thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete